Catholic Relief Services (CRS) Rice Bowl
This faith in action Lenten activity gives families an opportunity to provide hope and lifesaving aid for millions of individuals living in conditions of poverty around the world, while inspiring prayer, fasting and almsgiving—the three (3) pillars of Lent--within Catholic families.
How Does this Act of Service, Love & Charity Work?
At the beginning of Lent a simple cardboard box—CRS Rice Bowl—is offered to parishioners. Included with the rice bowl are prayers and simple recipes from some of the countries where people need your help. You pray for the people in these countries. When you fast, or give things up, you are reminded of those who do not have enough food, who experience hunger without a choice. You place the money you saved by fasting in the rice bowl (almsgiving), thus honoring Jesus’ call to serve our neighbors.
At the end of Lent you count the money you’ve placed in the Rice Bowl and write out a check payable to St. Gabriel for that amount. We make out and send in one check for the total collected. Please put “Rice Bowl” on the memo line, place the check in the envelope that comes with the rice bowl and return it to the parish office. It can be placed in the collection basket.
Pope Francis has challenged us to “enter more deeply into the heart of the Gospel where the poor have a special experience of God’s mercy.” CRS Rice Bowl is one way we can do that. St. Gabriel’s Human Concerns Commission members hope you will participate in Rice Bowl this Lent.
Where Do Our Donations Go?
75% of the donations you give supports CRS’ programs around the world and the remaining 25% go to an organization in our community. The Human Concerns Commission chooses which organization the donation supports.
To learn more visit www.crsricebowl.org.